Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallot Soup
Recipe from Cooking Light
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Top with chives and pepper, if desired.
Nutritional Information: Amount per serving (2/3 cup)
- Calories: 112
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 22.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 84mg